• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A messy situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mei-Mei

I live in Louisiana.

I have a few questions concerning my separation with my husband. I'll give you some brief background information.

Approximately 7 years ago I left my husband. I had married when I was 18 and very naive and stupid. My marriage was nightmarish. He refused to work or support the family in any way. At one point I was pregnant, working two jobs and going to college.

When I discovered that my second son was severly autistic I realized that I had to do something to improve my life. So I took both my sons and moved to New Orleans, Louisiana where I have family.

It has been a long, difficult struggle to get on my feet financially. Though I have court ordered child support I only receive it intermittently. As you can imagine, the money has been very tight. I refuse to take public assistance. My youngest son (the one with autism) requires a lot of expensive care. But within the last year or so we have finally been able to put some of the financial woes behind us. I've finished school and everything is actually pretty good.

I tell you all this to explain why I haven't yet pursued a divorce. I never had the money to go to an attorney. And my 'husband' is so lazy that he wouldn't put himself out if he was on fire. But I've been thinking lately that I need to tie up this last important thing so that can get on with my life (maybe start to date?:D )

But two weeks ago my 'husband' emailed our oldest son with a picture of himself and his new wife on their wedding day! The caption said, "Your new mother!"

My questions are as follows:

(1) Will my husband's bigamy in any way affect me or my sons legally? Apparently my husband has new 'sons and daughters.'

(2) When I left my husband we had no assets, not even a car. I own a car now and am thinking of purchasing a home. Would he have any legal right to these things? Would his new 'wife?'

(3) My husband was briefly in the National Guard. Would any death benefits go to the new 'wife' or would our sons receive them? I don't want them for myself, of course.

To further aid you in answering any questions my husband lives in Colorado and we were married in Indiana. I know this was a long question. Thank you for the time in reading it and answering.

ellencee

Have you ascertained that he did not get a divorce from you without your knowledge?
I know that sounds stupid, but it is possible that he filed for divorce, said he didn't know where you were, published notices in the newspapers as 'service' to you, and obtained a divorce via your failure to respond or appear.
If he did not obtain a divorce, then you and he are still legally married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">