• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step father adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nicw

What is the name of your state? fl

my 8 year old daughters biological father, who has never had any visitation with her and hardly ever pays child support, wants my husband to adopt her. he said he would pay for everything if my husband would adopt her. i have been dating my husband since my daughter was one, so she thinks that my husband is her father. and my husband treats her as his own. my husband does not legally want to adopt her, just incase we ever got divorced he would have to pay child support for her. (he already pays child support for his son from his ex-marriage) and we also have a son together. is there any way i could sign legal documents stating that if we ever got divorced i would not seek child support for her from him?

Seanscott

Receiving child support is not your decision.

If you & your husband divorce, you may end up having to get some sort of government assistance (food stamps, rent subsidies, medicare, etc.). The state does not want to support your child if your husband has the means to support him.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
nicw said:
What is the name of your state? fl

my husband does not legally want to adopt her, just incase we ever got divorced he would have to pay child support for her. (he already pays child support for his son from his ex-marriage) and we also have a son together.
And you think he would be a good father for her... why?

N

nicw

well he has been acting as her father for the last 7-years and supporting her, where her bilogical father has not cared about her at all. I just don't think it would be right to him if we were to get a divorce for him to be required to pay child support on her. And personally i don't care what ya'll think about him. And what kind of father you think he would be to my child. He has been a very good father to her. that is not any concern of yours.

i just wanted a legal answer, is there a way that he would not have to pay child support for her if we were to get a divorce.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If he adopts her, he would be responsible for her in all ways - including financially. You can't waive child support.

And I'm sorry, but if he's not able to consider her *wholly* his daughter, well..... a piece of paper from a court won't make it any more or less so.

haiku

I hope you never divorce, or is he going to balk at paying support on his "biological" child also.....

Last edited:
N

nicw

step parent adoption

Is there a way for me to delete my original question and all replies, you people are making me very mad. all I was asking is one question. i don't need all this criticism.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Sorry. Unfortunately, when you ask for input on a public forum, you're going to get it - whether it's input you like or not. What your husband is looking to do is get the perks of being her Daddy, without the responsibilities. That may not be what you want to hear, but that's what he's saying. So now your daughter has two fathers who don't *really* want her. And for her - that sucks rocks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">