• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosigner tax deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mattman

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Hi, I had a bit of bad luck last year. I had cosigned for a small student loan for a close friend in 2001. However, he defaulted after making 3 payments and left the state without letting me know. The bank got back to me saying they were forwarding this to the collections agency, and they wouldn't give me a recourse to make payments. They demanded a lump sum. So I had to shell out this amount. And I don't know what recourse I have to get that money back from this guy.

I just received a form 1098-E from the bank regarding the interest paid in 2002 on this loan. It came to my address, but with his name & ssn on it.
I paid this loan off. And I want to know what has to be done to get this form in my name?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

abezon

You can only deduct this interest if the student was your spouse or dependent when the loan was incurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">