• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefits For Legal Seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LAF123

What is the name of your state? RI, I work Part Time, and I want to know, if I get a legal seperation, do I get any support for my child, such as cash assistance from the government, or medical, etc. Or is this something that is agreed to be shard between the two spouses.

VeronicaGia

Government assistance is taxpayer money! In other words, you want to know if you can use my money to support your family!

Get a full time job. If you get custody, your soon to be ex will have to pay support. If he gets custody, you will have to pay support.

Why would you want to collect taxpayer dollars?

L

LAF123

I think you misunderstood my question. I wanted to know if you are legally seperated, and are only working a p/time job, would the benefits you receive already still exist, or would I be eligable for child support from my husband, until I found a more solid job.

You see, I am only working p/t right now, because I have to be with my son, I don't have the luxury of babysitters, and daycare is extremely expensive. I realize that eventually I would get a full-time job, but during seperation procedures, would I get benefits, or do you even know.

L

LAF123

TO PUT IT MORE EASILY, I GUESS MY QUESTION IS,
CAN YOU GET CHILD SUPPORT, IF YOU ARE LEGALLY SEPERATED,
OR IS THAT SOMETHING THAT HAS TO WORKED OUT BETWEEN
THE SPOUSES.

VeronicaGia

Yes a judge could order temporary support while you are legally separated, which would turn into a permanent order once divorced. However, you're sort of putting the cart before the horse in assuming you will be awarded temporary custody. Realize he has every right to custody and support as you do.

Let me reiterate something: while you maybe are not interested in collecting government assistance and simply made an error in your wording, but if you do, you will have to sign your rights to support over to the state, and the state will collect the money from your soon to be ex. This will put him in a horrible financial hardship down the road. If you and he can come to some form of agreement, and have it blessed by the courts, it is always better then going for any type of government assistance. If you and he cannot come to an agreement, a judge will ask you to go to mediation or will come up with an agreement for you.

Also, I'm assuming (since you said "your child") that this is also his biological child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">