• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage deduction after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eaglesoar

I live in CA. Husband lived in home until the beginning of October. Mortgage was paid from Jan to Sep from a joint account. Property settlement pending, but marriage was dissolved early Dec. I have primary custody of our 3 minor children, and receive child support from my ex but pay the mortgage myself. Who gets to deduct the interest on the mortgage? I have not yet been able to get a straight answer on this. Most posting and advise I have read have the spouse who vacated the home still making the payments, but I made the last 3 after he moved, and will continue to do so. Please help!

abezon

If you're both on the mortgage, either of you can deduct the mortgage interest & taxes. You should get together & figure out the way to get the most money back between the two of you. If you made similar salaries, you could both qualify as head of household (shared expenses for 9 months + all expenses for 3 months = providing more than 1/2 the expenses of your household for the year). You both qualify to claim EIC for the kids, depending on your income. Play around with the dependency exemptions, itemized/standard deductions, child care credits, etc. to see how to get the most money.

If you can't agree, whoever files first will get the itemized deductions & the custodial parent will get the dependents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">