• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

another dependent ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunshyne_828

What is the name of your state? CO

I have full custody of my son and i have claimed him on my taxes for the past 5 years. This year i decided to let my ex-husband claim him. This is a verbal agreement between the two of us. Do we have to file one of those forms with the IRS if we have a verbal agreement? I really didnt think this was a big deal if we both agreed who would claim him and file according to that agreement. We have always gotten along and we have always kept our word to each other in regards to my son. Can't we keep the IRS out of this? I will probably claim him the next couple of years or we may start to rotate each year. We always decided right before we filed in the past. Thanks for your help!!

abezon

How exactly do you propose to keep the IRS out of it and still file taxes? They're gonna know that someone claimed the kid! If only one of you claims him, the IRS probably won't care. However, if he claims your son & you later get mad & claim your son too, the IRS will be angry with him. Give him an 8332 just for his peace of mind. It's not like the IRS can deny him the dependency exemption or say "we think he shouldn't be able to claim the boy this year."

S

sunshyne_828

abezon said:
How exactly do you propose to keep the IRS out of it and still file taxes? They're gonna know that someone claimed the kid! If only one of you claims him, the IRS probably won't care. However, if he claims your son & you later get mad & claim your son too, the IRS will be angry with him. Give him an 8332 just for his peace of mind. It's not like the IRS can deny him the dependency exemption or say "we think he shouldn't be able to claim the boy this year."
Its not a problem to give him the 8332 - its just he has already filed electronically and he didnt know if this would hold up his refund since he didnt submit this form with his filing. Does he just hang on to it with his records incase he is ever audited?

As for me getting mad at him - well, that happens all the time, after all he is my ex for a reason... However, we have always kept our word to each other when it comes to my son and I certainly wouldnt change my mind after we have all filed... Thanks for the response.

abezon

Yes, he should just keep the form until they ask for it. In future, he should submit the form as a paper doc with his 8453.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">