• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Child Credits, Head Of Household For Previous Filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnErick

What is the name of your state? CA

I have what will probably amount to a naive question... but here goes.

Can you go back and claim the IRS owes you money back for taxes because you actually failed to claim your child and head of household status on a previous return?

I was actually laid off in March of 2000, and only worked temp and collected unemployment. I was also supporting my teenage daughter and terminally ill friend (whom I realize didn't qualify me for anything). I also had received a $24000.00 stock option payment that put me in debt over $4000.00 in taxes, which I had to pay off, including giving up a large portion of last years tax refund to complete the payback.

Although I realize there's probably more chance of raising the dead, is that possible?

John

abezon

Not only is it possible, it's fairly easy. Just take the returns you filed to a tax preparer & have him/her amend the federal & CA returns. You can go as far back as 1999.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">