• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wannagonow

What is the name of your state? NC

I want to leave my spouse and move to FL. He is verbally cruel to the kids and has been emotionally unstable for the past two years. I legal friend of mine told me I could pack up an leave to FL and he can't stop me from taking the kids. Is this true? Please help!! Also offer some web sites to seek info. Thank you!

J

Jeffrey2003

My 2 cents

The obvious answer is you need to see an attorney. If you can't afford it, some attorneys will provide a free consultation (granted these aren't usually the best attorneys). What is motivating you to leave the state? My sense is if you just pack up and go to Florida, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and your picture will be in every WalMart in the country. Whatever you do, you want your actions to portray you as the stable force in your kids' life. See an attorney and get "real" legal advise.

W

wannagonow

Thanks for the info. I have no family here and want to go where I can have some support.

What would happen if I file for a separation? Can I then leave the state, or would fight this. I get 2% help from him. He says b/c he makes the money, that "I would be helpless without him!" I asked him has he ever heard of community property.

Also, since we share a joint bank account, aren't I entitled to half of this money? He says no, because he made it. But I maintain the house, and the kids and get no paycheck.

Please help!!! I'm losing my hair!! Physically!!:confused:

kat1963

Well, if he hasn't heard of community property that's okay because NC is not one of those states.

You are in serious need of legal advice. Things have changed, it's so black & white anymore. No longer can you just move out of state without having to face the consequences. The consequences could possible be loss of custody ect.... See if you leave, NC still has jurisdiction in the case. He can & will file an ex parte (without the other party) temporary motion for custody & support. When you can't be found, or if you refuse, the case will work its way up thru the courts until there is a Federal warrant out for your arrest. It's kinda hard to fight for custody when you are wearing an orange jumpsuit and NO, those aren't pretty bracelets.

In addition, just because you divorce or separate, you will be probably be required to (at the very least) notifymin & the courts 30 days in advance of any move. Or even to obtain permission from the court to do so. At which time he will file a TRO against you to prevent you leaving until a change in custody is heard. If you lose, you can't just change your mind to stay & retain custody in many cases but certainly not all however.

There are no guarantees that you will win custody. Suppose you get a judge who feels that it’s in the best interest of the children to be with the parent who can better financially support them? There is also no guarantee that the judge will not order 50/50 parenting. There is no guarantee that you will be awarded any support at all if there is joint parenting in place. No one here is a mind reader to tell you what will happen that is why you need to find a good family law attorney in your area. He/She should be able to advise you on how judges in your local courts tend to rule in this area.

You should consider doing what needs to be done in order to become more financially independant before leaving. Children need both parents, not one or the other just being a visitor.

KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">