• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help needed -- remove joint tenants' name from title --tax issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

urgent999

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a case like this, please advise.

My parents bought a house years ago by themselvs and later on add my name to the title as joint tenants in common ( 50% of their share in the property was given to me as gift ), now, I wish to remove their names totally from the title and make me 100% sole owner of hte house. We do not want any real money transfer involved.
Question:

1) Can we just do a simple Grant Deed and do change ownership of property to remove their names ?

2) Is this considered a sale ? Can I maek it a gift and used it against the one million dollar gift credit during their lifetime ?

2) Are they or myself subject to any gift taxes ?
Thanks
Xli

C

Caglitz

"joint tenants" and "tenants in common" are two different types of title. Whic is it? you need to see a Preliminary Change of Ownership Form and deal with how you are going to categorize the transfer - as gift, or otherwise.

U

urgent999

please clarify

What are the differnces in case of joint tenant or in common ? We can gift in both cases, correct ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">