• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Back Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dterry11

What is the name of your state? GA

My husband and his ex-wife got a divorce in 1995. We were married in 1999. Once we were married and started to file jointly we started receiving notices (federal and state) for back taxes when he was married to his ex-wife. We promptly paid the back taxes for all of the notices we received. Last year when we filed our state taxes our refund was taken and applied to back taxes. We thought we had paid all of the back taxes because we didn't have any other notices. When I called the state tax office they told us it was for back taxes in 1994 when my husband and his ex-wife were together and that the debt was now satisfied. I just called the state tax office to make sure that we didn't owe anything and would receive a full refund. I was shocked to find out that there was a state tax debt from 1992! The person couldn't give me any information on the debt because he said it was in lien. He directed me to call the Regional Office and they could talk to me. We have never received any notices regarding this debt (his ex-wife may have but we don't know). It seems as though whenever we think we have it all taken care of, we find out something else. When we called in the past they would give us a grand total, we would pay that, and it seems they would come up with something else he owes. What is a lien and what can they do to us until we get this straightened out? Any suggestions on what we should do? Thanks so much.:confused:

abezon

Request a full accounting, with the dates the taxes were assessed and the dates of all payments. Then you at least have the facts to argue that everything's paid.

Also, change your W-4s so that you owe taxes at the end of the year. Then there's no refund to take!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">