• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help finalizing divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nellumj

What is the name of your state? California
My BF filed for divorce back in 1994. Since the W didn't file her response in time he tried to file for a default, but the judge said he was missing an Income and Expense paperwork. The judge only said this because he checked the box that said nothing had changed since the last filing and one was never filed, if he had checked the box that says he's not requesting money so he doesn't need one, I think they would've granted it to him. Well, she finally filed her response a year later and now they're just sitting in limbo. I was going to try to file a Judgement request since neither one of them contested the divorce. But I noticed that she requested joint custody of their DD while he requested full custody. If I check on the form that I want Dissolution of Marriage - Status only, does that just grant them the divorce and will leave the custody and visitation to later? I just want to get them divorced so we can get married. My BF met with a lawyer who told him to just dismiss the case and start a new one, but I think that's a waste of time and money. I see no reason to do this all over again.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">