• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hmvda

What is the name of your state? california
My daughter is 4 years old and my husband has been taking care of her since she was 3 months old, I really want him to adopt her and change her name. how hard would it be to do so without the biological fathers permission?, or do i even have that chose? he has not been there for 2 years and mentioned to my husband he can have her. i know there is no legal document that states that but why would he even try to fight it. would they stop child support if my husband does adopt her, even though i ain't getting it?
please help

Seanscott

The biological father has to be notified of any adoption proceedings and any attempt to terminate his parental rights. When your daughter is adopted, the biological father will be totally out of the picture. He will not have to pay support. He may, or may not be responsible for any support he owes but has not paid. That is up to the court to decide.

If biodad really wants to give her up, the process can be relatively quick & inexpensive.

Good luck. Hope things work out for all of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">