• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

married fifing seperately, on line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

notsuehappy

What is the name of your state? missouri. while filling for an income tax return on line ( married filing seperately ), my spouse was trying to claim child care deductions pertaining to day care expenses for our two children. she was asked for my income info and was denied the allowence. which will lessen the amount of her return, however this info was not required on the irs paper form schedule 2 of form 1040a. why would the on line filing be different on this issue than by filling on paper. q2, will the irs inter fere with my spouses return even though we are filing seperately, and i owe some passed due child support. i already know that my return will be intercepted and applied to the past due amount. q3 can my wife even claim the 2 children of ours ( married filing seperately) with my income being higher than hers. sorry if i havn't asked these questions in the right way, i will elaberate if needed to. thank you

abezon

She can't have the child care credit because she filed MFS. To claim the child care credit, you must file jointly. She can file an injured spouse claim & the IRS will take your part of the refund & send her a check for her part.

N

notsuehappy

reply to abezon

we have considered filling jointly, but someone has told us that my spouse will not recieve the intire amount that is due to her, citing that because i will be claiming our 2 children, the amount returned to me would be greater, and the amount returned to her through an injured spouse declaration would be less than if she filed seperately. would this be the case? we are simply trying to optimise our return amount. we are not trying to get away with something as someone recently told us. help or references will be appreciated.

abezon

Go to H&R Block and have them do the taxes. They can help you decide how to optimize the returns & decide if losing a bunch of credits is worth it. If you file jointly/injured spouse, they can help you assign the deductions & credits on the form. An injured spouse return takes at least 2 months & you have no way of knowing how much the IRS will send out.

N

notsuehappy

thank you abezon, but H&R Block is probably the last place I would let do my taxes,( no offense ), I've delt with them before, their more interested in making money for themselves rather than saving money, or should I say getting more for me. We have had our taxes figured already both ways, and would stand to loose a couple of hundred bucks by doing them seperately, I have to have a certain amount of money by the 15th of feb and do not have time for the gov. to do their thing. My deadline is far more important than a couple of hundred thanks again Dave

abezon

If you need the money by the 15th, you'll have to go to HRB or some other place that does refund loans. To get money by the 15th, you needed to have your tax return in the IRS's computers by Feb. 6. As for your experience at HRB, if you decide to give them another chance, be sure to ask for a senior preparer & explain that your last experience was unpleasant. You should get better treatment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">