• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nostalgic

What is the name of your state? PA

I have been the Power of Attorney for my aunt for the past 5 years. For the last two years, upon her request, I have had her tax return prepared whereby I signed my name to the return followed by the initials POA. The tax preparer told me to sign it that way to make it all legal.

Now this year my aunt wants to sign the return herself. Why? Who knows. My question is, will this cause me, or her, any problems with the IRS? Me signing one year, her the next. The last thing I want is trouble with the IRS. I've heard too many horror stories. And just for future reference, what if she decides down the road in a year or two that she wants me to start signing again?

Does it matter who signs the return in this situation? Does the IRS even care so long as it is signed? Will this kind of thing spark an audit? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

abezon

You're fine. The only way there would be a problem is if she was not competant to sign the return or she revoked the POA. Keep a copy so you can send it to them if the IRS asks to see the POA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">