• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement rollover to IRA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JoBarry

What is the name of your state? Arizona

After leaving employment w/company my mother rolled over her retirement contributions (approx 30k) into an IRA. She received a 1099-r and in box #7 the code is "G" indicating it was a direct rollover. When doing Turbotax it showed her getting back approximately $1000 until she entered the 1099-r info.....after that information was input is showed that she now owed $600. Does this sound right? I thought the whole point of rolling over retirement into an IRA was so you didn't get penalized (in my case I cashed mine out and now wish I hadn't). I would appreciate any advice/explanation on this... Thanks! Joanna.

abezon

You are correct; turbo tax is wrong. You'll just have to fiddle with the program until you get it to say the right thing. Good luck!

J

JoBarry

Abezon - YOU are correct.....turbotax was wrong (after playing around w/it she got it to come out right). Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">