• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about reportable capital losses...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tacks

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I invested $12K in mutual funds back in 2000...and never touched it...until I sold all my shares during 2002 for $1500.

The 1099-B form I received shows the $1500 in proceeds I received when I closed my account, but makes no mention of the original $12K.

Shouldn't the original amount be mentioned on the 1099-B, along with the calculated loss?

I have the original figure (and the statement as proof), but am surprised I would be "trusted" to enter this on my tax return without the investment company mentioning it to the IRS on the 1099-B.

-BB

abezon

Brokers only send the sale info to the IRS. You file a schedule D to avoid having to pay taxes on the whole amount. Just save the purchase info with your taxes for 4 years.

abezon

Also, check to see if you've had reinvested dividends during the years. These would add to your basis & produce a larger loss. You can only take a maximum of $3000 net loss per year. You carry the rest forward for future years.

T

tacks

Thanks for the reply, it as very helpful.

There were divdends...and I will be sure to include those.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">