• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

income taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

taxq

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I recieved form 1098 from mortgage company on property I sold
January 2002. buyer was to pay off mortgage it did not happen
until september. i incured late and forclosure marks against my
credit. the 1098 is in my name buyer paid it can i claim this on my
taxes.

JETX

taxq said:
I recieved form 1098 from mortgage company on property I sold
January 2002. buyer was to pay off mortgage it did not happen
until september. i incured late and forclosure marks against my
credit. the 1098 is in my name buyer paid it can i claim this on my
taxes.
Something isn't right in your post. Your post talks about a mortgage and foreclosure and that you received a 1098 form.

IRS forms 1098 comes in the following two forms:
1098E (Student Loan Interest Statement) and
1098T (Tuition Payments Statement), neither of which would apply to mortgages.

Are you sure you don't mean a form 1099??? If so, which one, from who and what for??

Last edited:

JETX

Shycar: Of course you are correct (and I should have known that... must have suffered a brain freeeze!!).

For some reason, when I read the original post, he was talking about late fees and closure costs and I didn't even consider that he was really referring to mortgage interest!!

abezon

Claim it. Paying the mortgage was part of your price for the house & you were responsible for the mortgage until it was paid off. Therefore it was your debt & you can claim the interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">