• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contempt of court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

c0ugar1970

What is the name of your state? Indiana

4 years ago My wife (at the time) leased me a truck in her name because my credit was too bad. Now we are divorced and it was stated in the divorce decree that I get the truck loan in my name. I have tried but because of delinquencies, which partially she caused, I cannot get a loan for it. She has talked to her lawyer and told me that if I don't get it into my name I am in contempt of court. Can they still do that, hold me in contempt? Even if there is nothing I can do? If they can then what will happen? Thank You for any advice whatsoever!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

c0ugar1970 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

4 years ago My wife (at the time) leased me a truck in her name because my credit was too bad. Now we are divorced and it was stated in the divorce decree that I get the truck loan in my name. I have tried but because of delinquencies, which partially she caused, I cannot get a loan for it. She has talked to her lawyer and told me that if I don't get it into my name I am in contempt of court. Can they still do that, hold me in contempt? Even if there is nothing I can do? If they can then what will happen? Thank You for any advice whatsoever!

My response:

Why would you agree to refinance something when you knew, at the time you signed the marital settlement agreement (MSA), that you had lousy credit?

You will be held to the contract (the MSA - - that was incorporated into your Decree) and be found in contempt of court.

So, yes, "they" and the court can do that. It's not anybody's fault, other than yours, for agreeing to something you knew, or should and could have known, could not be done by you.

You will still be ordered to comply with the MSA at the hearing, and the judge could impose anything from a fine, to jail time, to both.

Remember, it was a "court order" for you to comply by refinancing, and you didn't do it. Therefore, it's the same thing as if you spit in the judge's face.

You had better find some money, and quick.

IAAL

C

c0ugar1970

We had 2 vehicles leased at the time. I was able to get one for her 3 years ago. she was supposed to get that one put in her name too, but never did. The lease is now done and the car has been turned back in. The divorce was final last October and the lease ended last December. It was ordered by the Judge that she get the lease on her car put into her name, even though there was only 3 months left on the lease for that one, and I get the lease for the truck put into my name, which still has another year on it., he never asked me about being able to do it financially. This was done during our financial disclosure hearing.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Pointing fingers and saying "she did it too-o-o-o-o-o" isn't productive. It doesn't work that way. Her financial obligation for that car is finished it seems. Yours, for your truck, is not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">