• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W2's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

Xorm

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Is it legal for a company to hold your w2 until you go to te company to get it?

I left this job in early december of 2002. Upon tax time, my w2 never appeared in the mail. Yet, when I called up to the company, the message i recieved from an employee there, was that I had to go to the company and pick my w2 up from them. I thought that once you either voluntarily or involuntarily left employment, that the company had to send your w2 to your residence. My address has not changed since I left. I have no way to get to the company for lack of transportation. Can they hold my w2 like this?

Thankyou.

C

Crock2

I am not sure if it is legal or not, but I would try to contact the employer and ask if they will mail you the W-2. Most companies will do this. If they are too stingy to buy a stamp, maybe you could send them a self addressed envelope. I found the following on the IRS web site:

An employer is required to furnish a completed Form W-2 (copies B, C, and 2) to each employee showing their compensation and tax withholding amounts for the calendar year, generally, by January 31 of the next year. The employer may choose to "furnish" the completed W-2 in a manner other than mailing, but mailing a properly addressed form on or before the due date meets the "furnish" requirement.

I am not sure if by them having it available for you at their office meets the "furnish" requirement. Also, if you can receive a fax on your computer maybe they could fax it to you, or maybe they might even be willing to scan to email so you could print it out yourself.

Hope this helps.

abezon

You have a right to a W-2. Tell them to mail it out immediately or you'll file a complaint with the IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">