• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

missing w-2's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chronic474

What is the name of your state? ohio

my husband and i were waiting on 1 set of w-2's to arrive so we could file our taxes this year. as of 2/10/03(today) we have not received them. chad contacted his employer on 2/8/03 and was informed that the accountant had not yet sent them out. i know they have to be postmarked by january 31st, but what can my husband and i do now that we know they weren't?

C

Crock2

The following is what I found on the IRS web site, they advise first to contact the employer to try to make sure that the W-2s are not lost in the mail or the employer has your correct address:

If you still do not receive your W-2, contact the IRS for assistance at 1-800-829-1040, but not before February 16th. An IRS representative will complete a W-2 complaint on Form 4598, Form W-2 or 1099 Not Received or Incorrect. A copy of the Form 4598 will be sent to the employer and a copy to you along with Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute for a Missing Form W-2. When you call or visit a walk-in office, please have the following information available:

Your employer's name and complete address, including zip code, employer identification number (if known - see prior year's W-2 if you worked for the same employer), and telephone number,
Your name, address, including zip code, social security number, and telephone number; and
An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the period you worked for that employer. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

If you file your return and attach Form 4852 to support the withholding amount claimed instead of a Form W-2, your refund may be delayed while the information you gave us is verified.

C

chronic474

yes, we should receive the w-2's and be able to file in a few days because the accountant has corrected the mistake. i was just wondering if there is something i could do to make sure it doesn't happen again. thank you for responding

abezon

Not really. You can complain, but the IRS has better ways to spend your tax dollars than scolding employers who are late.

C

chronic474

but it isn't the employer, it's the accountant. the employer had no idea we hadn't received them until my husband called and told her. but anyway, thanks for the advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">