• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how are you served

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pandaro

What is the name of your state? Iowa
My husband filed the 22nd of Jan. Have not gotten papers yet(not that I am in a hurry cause I dont want the divorce) Guestion is how are you served? Will it come in the mail or what?

usmcfamily

Well, there are several ways to be served but not by mail. The reason being that he has to file an "affidavit of service" to prove that you were served with the papers and that affidavit will be completed by whomever serves you.
One form of service is service by the Sherrif's Deparment -- this can often be the least expensive but most inconvenient form of service because obviously serving court documents is NOT their first priority so it can take a LONG time for them to get the papers to you......
Another form of service is service by a professional "Process server" -- this is a person who charges a fee to the person wanting someone else served (usually higher than that charged by the Sherrif's dept) to serve the papers. They are often much faster than the Sherrif because serving papers is their ONLY priority so they can dedicate all their time to locating and serving people.
Also, there is a form of "personal service" -- the papers can be served by anyone other than the plaintiff. That means that a friend or family member can do the serving -- for example in my divorce it was uncontested and his grandmother (whom he was staying with) served him for me. I sent the papers to her and she "served" him and completed the affidavit of service. (btw - the affidavit has to be notarized)

H

hopelessinCA

service

actually you can be served by certified mail. I was served that way. You do have the option of not claiming the envelope.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">