• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex's debts are haunting my life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dagnyzin

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I am divorced but now facing my ex's debts. In our divorce decree we agreed to take responsibility for our own debts, but I am learning that that apparently has no legality in the eyes of creditors. Soon I will be attending a court case for the bank account that my name was on, but I never used. My signature is not on the credit card he took out, or the loan - which are over $10,000 in debt. Is it true that I am responsible for anything and everything he's done during our marriage, with or without my name being on it? Unfortunately his debts, are outrageous - at least $50,000- this during our marriage. We were separated through all his debts, but not legally separated - neither of us filed for a legal separation. Now I've come to learn that his plan is to file for bankruptcy. And if it is true that I am responsible for everything he refuses to pay, that would mean I'd carry all his debts, and he would be free of them. I have no possessions, I depend on other people, and have never had a job. I suffer from a couple debilitating mental illnesses that have kept me from living a normal life. But as I am seeking help and healing, I worry that if I am able to build a life for myself someday, that it will all be taken away as soon as I do because of these debt collectors. What are my options? Am I responsible? If I am, is there any way my ex could sign a contract freeing me of his debts? Is my only option to file for bankruptcy myself? Does my ex have any other options other than taking me down with him? We are on friendly terms. He feels horrible that I am affected by his stupid choices, but he sees no other option but to file for chapter 7 bankruptcy. In our divorce decree, it states the date of our separation (which as I said was not actually filed), and that his debts are his own beyond that point, as our mine. Is this relevant in any legal way?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">