• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

name change and minus a refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jana5863

What is the name of your state? IN

I was married in 1997 in Las Vegas. I paid some company a fee to change my name with various agencies, incl. SSA- or so I thought.

Our tax filings for 1997-1999 went smoothly on paper forms. However, in 2001, my husband used TurboTax to file in the 11th hr. and then didn't follow up. Apparently, my married name didn't correspond with my SS# and the taxes weren't filed.

No biggie as we were due refunds. I went downtown in my city and changed my name in person with the SSA and received my new SS card a week later with my married name. We filed our 2000 and 2001 taxes at the same time in Apr. 2002.

Because of the snafu with the 2000 taxes, we never recieved the credit George W. gave all good tax-paying citizens. To compound matters, both the 2000 and 2001 refund checks came with my FORMER name on them anyway!

Is there any way to receive the money that was sent to all who filed a 2000 return? We filed but it was never accepted because of the name thing. Once the name was changed- and confirmed with the SSA- our checks came with my old name anyway.

Lastly- if you don't have an answer for me- do you know the next step I can take? The phone and people lines are nightmares.

L

loku

The first thing I would suggest is that you file Form 1040X (Amended US Income Tax Return), and request a refund in the amount of the credit you were due. Attach a note explaining the problem.

If that does not work, the IRS will probably notify you as to the next step you can take. If that does not solve the problem, contact the Taxpayer Advocate, who might be able to help.

The Taxpayer Advocate represents your interests and concerns within the IRS by protecting your rights and resolving problems that have not been fixed through normal channels. While Taxpayer Advocates cannot change the tax law or make a technical tax decision, they can clear up problems that resulted from previous contacts and ensure that your case is given a complete and impartial review.
To contact your Taxpayer Advocate:
• Call the Taxpayer Advocate at 1-877-777-4778.

abezon

The IRS knew how much everyone received & may have just included the $600 in your check. Or you may have received it in fall of 2001 & forgotten. Or you may have claimed the rate reduction credit of $600 on your taxes. Check the non-refundable credit section of your 2001 tax return & see if there's a $600 entry on the RRC line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">