• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarkNYC

What is the name of your state? California

My wife and I have been married for 1 year but have not lived together for the past 6 months. I own residential property which I purchased 3 years prior to getting married. My wife has NEVER paid a single bill (mortgage, phone, utilities, auto or anything else) over the course of the marriage. There are no children.

What is the best way to get a divorce in this type of situation?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MarkNYC said:
What is the name of your state? California

What is the best way to get a divorce in this type of situation?

===================================

My response:

Two methods - -

1. Shotgun; or,

2. Summary Dissolution of Marriage. It's quick, down and dirty, and no court appearances are required!

Get your pamphlet on this subject from the courthouse under Ca Rules of Court Rule 1295.11.

IAAL

M

MarkNYC

Thank you for your response, I do have a question though.
Requirements for The Summary Dissolution of Marriage state:

<<Neither spouse may have separate property worth more than $25,000 (excluding cars and car loans).>>

What does "separate property" mean? As I said in my initial post, I do own a house which was purchased three years prior to this marriage.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You're right. I guess I missed that part about your house. She has a community property interest in that house for the past one year since you were married.

You're going to have to go through a standard divorce. The rest of your questions are moot.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">