• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ascii2k

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I will try to make this brief. My wife and I filed out taxes jointly on February 1st. We(I) e-filed using turbo tax. After all information was entered, Turbo Tax determined we should recieve a state refund of $687. Fine. So I expected to get the refund within a couple weeks since we efiles and signed up for direct deposit. I called the information hotline yesterday(twice to verify) to check the status and I was told I would not be receiving a refund. I found out last night when my wife got home that we had received a letter from the Indiana D.O.R. that we owed back taxes and our refund had been used toward that. Well, I didn't understand this because I personally have never had to pay(always got refund) and for years 2000 and 2001 we filed jointly AND received a state refund. So, I called the IRS collections department today. The best the lady could do was to tell me that this issue probably just "slipped by" for the past two years. She also said it looked like the back taxes were from 1998 or 1999. OK, I will partially buy that. My wife did have some problems at least one of those years. That was before we met so I don't know any details and my wife doesn't remember. The IRS lady assures me we are all paid up now and owe nothing further. Here are my concerns. My wife believes and I agree that it is unlikey she owed that much in state tax. Second, what are the chances that we owed EXACTLY $687??? The IRS lady did not offer a single numerical amount. As far as I know we could have owed $75 and they are just taking the rest.

Is there anything I can do about this? I know the Indiana budget is in very bad shape but if we owed less than $687 than I feel I deserve that money. I apologize for the length of this post. I hope someone out there has a suggestion for what I can do. Thank you for your time.

abezon

You need to contact the IN dept of revenue and ask for an accounting of how they arrived at the $687 figure. Then review any of their information & see if they are wrong about anything or if they failed to meet the statute of limitations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">