• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whataloser

What is the name of your state? oklahoma
I've been divorced for over a year. My ex has his own business and while we were married I cosigned for his small business loan. Our divorce decree specifies that my ex must pay this loan and that I am to be held harmless from this (and other) debts assigned to him in the decree. In January 2002, I wrote a letter to this debtor advising them of the divorce agreement and provided them a copy of it, and asked that they remove my name from the loan. They responded to me with a phone call and said they would take care of it. Well, I received a summons yesterday that the debtor for the small business loan is suing me and my ex because he hasn't paid on it since November '02. It's over 18 thousand dollars and I can't pay it. My questions:
1. Am I liable?
2. Can/should I counter-sue my ex for not paying it?
Thanks for your help!!! (and, by the way, my user name is in reference to my ex... what a loser!)

B

Boxcarbill

whataloser said:
What is the name of your state? oklahoma
I've been divorced for over a year. My ex has his own business and while we were married I cosigned for his small business loan. Our divorce decree specifies that my ex must pay this loan and that I am to be held harmless from this (and other) debts assigned to him in the decree. In January 2002, I wrote a letter to this debtor advising them of the divorce agreement and provided them a copy of it, and asked that they remove my name from the loan. They responded to me with a phone call and said they would take care of it. Well, I received a summons yesterday that the debtor for the small business loan is suing me and my ex because he hasn't paid on it since November '02. It's over 18 thousand dollars and I can't pay it. My questions:
1. Am I liable?
2. Can/should I counter-sue my ex for not paying it?
Thanks for your help!!! (and, by the way, my user name is in reference to my ex... what a loser!)
I have answered this so many times that you shouldn't have to look beyond the first page to find the answer. In fact, the post just below "can't take it anymore" contains the answer on debt as well as several other post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">