• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Capital Gains on sale of home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Paultheyounger

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In 2002 I sold my primary residence (owned and lived in for 6 years) and bought a new home, both in Michigan. I understand that I do not need to claim the sale on my US1040, because the entire profit (about 40K) is excludable. I understand this to mean that I do not need to file a US1040 Schedule D.

But is there such an exclusion from Michigan capital gains tax, or do I need to claim this income on my state return? Do states generally follow the federal exclusions?

Thanks for your help!

- Paul

P

Paultheyounger

Still looking for an answer to this if anyone can point me in the right direction......thanks.

- Paul

abezon

MI taxable income is computed from federal AGI. There is no requirement that gains from the sale of a personal residence be added on Schedule 1.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">