• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA: Divorce Procedure Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarkAD

What is the name of your state? Ca. L.A. County

These questions are for my girlfriend. She filed w/ the court for divorce on Sept. 30, 2002. Her husband filed a Request for Trial Setting dated the same date under the "Date Complaint Filed". The copies she received in the mail from him did not have the court stamp on it that says "Filed". But it's obvious it was filed w/ the court because it was sent back to him as improperly filed. That was approx. 4 months ago. Last week she received in the mail a "Notice of Mandatory Settlement Conf./ Trial Setting Conf. stamped filed 1/30/03 for court date of 3/11/03. I went through a divorce about 2 yrs ago in Riverside Co. and I never seen most of the papers she has received from the court or her husband. Is it different by County? I had to attend mediation before court due to kids and she hasnt gotten anything concerning mediation. Is this for mediation and it's just titled different county to county? Attached to this form is things regarding discovery, witness list, exibit lists, etc. Is this the divorce trial date where everything is to be hashed out regarding custody, support, property, debts, etc.? They are also ordered to attend a P.A.C.T. Program prior to this date. "Parents and Children Together" is P.A.C.T.
Basically she jsut wants to know if this is THE date to settle all the affairs and should she be prepared and ready to do that on this date? I do not have the answers for her as I was divorced in another county and the paperwork and procedures seem to be different.
thanks in advance for your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MarkAD said:
What is the name of your state? Ca. L.A. County

These questions are for my girlfriend. She filed w/ the court for divorce on Sept. 30, 2002. Her husband filed a Request for Trial Setting dated the same date under the "Date Complaint Filed". The copies she received in the mail from him did not have the court stamp on it that says "Filed". But it's obvious it was filed w/ the court because it was sent back to him as improperly filed. That was approx. 4 months ago. Last week she received in the mail a "Notice of Mandatory Settlement Conf./ Trial Setting Conf. stamped filed 1/30/03 for court date of 3/11/03. I went through a divorce about 2 yrs ago in Riverside Co. and I never seen most of the papers she has received from the court or her husband. Is it different by County? I had to attend mediation before court due to kids and she hasnt gotten anything concerning mediation. Is this for mediation and it's just titled different county to county? Attached to this form is things regarding discovery, witness list, exibit lists, etc. Is this the divorce trial date where everything is to be hashed out regarding custody, support, property, debts, etc.? They are also ordered to attend a P.A.C.T. Program prior to this date. "Parents and Children Together" is P.A.C.T.
Basically she jsut wants to know if this is THE date to settle all the affairs and should she be prepared and ready to do that on this date? I do not have the answers for her as I was divorced in another county and the paperwork and procedures seem to be different.
thanks in advance for your help.

My response:

Please choose the most important question or concern. We're not going to "pick through" your post and answer a bunch of questions that are interwoven throughout your post.

IAAL

M

MarkAD

Sorry for the inconvenience.

1) Is the "Notice of Mandatory Settlement Conference/Trial Setting Conf." the actual court date in front of the judge or mediation?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MarkAD said:
Sorry for the inconvenience.

1) Is the "Notice of Mandatory Settlement Conference/Trial Setting Conf." the actual court date in front of the judge or mediation?

Thanks

My response:

No. The MSC is a "meeting" between all parties and counsel to see what issues can be settled or dismissed, and then take the rest of the issues to trial. The TSC is a very short appearance before the judge to inform the parties of an available trial date.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">