• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i guilty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fla guy

What is the name of your state? FL

my brother has his license suspended from his 3rd DUI. he signed his title to his car over to my sister, who then got insurance for the car. my brother continues to drive the car illegally, and my sister knows this. is she guilty of anything, and if so, what could happen to her?

stephenk

if brother happens to get loaded again, drive the car and seriously hurt or kill someone, your sister could be liable under a civil suit for damages for knowingly letting your brother driver her car.

Plus, does the insurance company know he is using the car on a regular basis? I doubt it. The carrier may decide to not cover any accident he is involved in and leave your brother and sister exposed to lawsuit damages.

Why does your sister support your doofus brother's situation?

F

fla guy

she loves him. i am concerned for both of them, but she has expressed concern for herself. she has a nice life and doesn't want it to be turned upside down.
what could happen to her if he gets pulled over for no tail light? brake light?

F

fla guy

she is not aiding and abetting?
he gets pulled over for a typical traffic stop, she will be cool?

Z

zappy

---------------------

NO chances are the car will be towed and impounded. Since she has let someone with a suspended license drive the car.

Hey its done all the time, as long as your sister is just as BROKE, or hopes to be BROKE soon,then who cares ...????

He'll be in jail, and the sister will file bankruptcy...neat kewl!

M

Multimom

knowingly allowing someone with a suspended driver's license drive your car is an unwise thing.

There is the possibility of her being charged with aiding and abetting in a crime. This could happen for as little as a traffic stop.

He could be pulled over for speeding and if the police find out she knew he was driving and they are having a particularly boring day, they may decide to persue her as well.

If he is involved in an accident or causes injury to another she will be liable and when the insurance carrier discovers that she was knowingly allowing an unlicensed driver to drive the car they will most likely refuse to pay the damages leaving your sister to pay for it out of pocket while your brother sits in jail.

I would encourage both of you to begin to attend Alanon meetings and learn how you can help your brother without enabling him.

By taking possession of the car, purchasing insurance for it and then letting a DUI repeated offender drive all she is doing is encouraging him to continue to drink and drive because there was no consequence for his repeated offences. She has provided him with his car and he is driving albiet illegally.

I think she would be devistated if your brother was driving the car while intoxicated and he took the life of another while under the influence.

I certainly wouldn't want to be the one with that on my conscience. Not to mention the financial liability should the family of the one deceased decide to file a wrongful death suit naming both her and your brother.

I would encourage her to STOP letting him drive that car period because no matter what he may tell her, there is really no way for her to be sure that he's not still driving while intoxicated.

When there is little or no impunity, most offenders will repeat the bahavior regularly.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

fla guy said:
she is not aiding and abetting?

**A: tell her to check with her insurance carrier if under her policy, it is acceptable to let someone drive the vehicle when that person does not have a driver's license because it was suspended due to 3 DUI's. And if there was an accident caused by the driver, would the insurance company be involved.
Please post back the response from her insurance company.

M

Multimom

tell her to check with her insurance carrier if under her policy, it is acceptable to let someone drive the vehicle when that person does not have a driver's license because it was suspended due to 3 DUI's.
Surely you jest. No insurance company will provide coverage if the driver is driving illegally. They won't pay out a nickle because the vehicle was being driven by a driver with a DUI suspended license.

HomeGuru

Precisely my point. If the brother got into an accident and killed someone, the insurance company would take a "hands off" and not defend. The injured party would sue the sister. Sister would be hit with a personal $1.5 million lawsuit. Would she have a nice life then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">