• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former employer is insane or I am

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PerfidyorFealty

What is the name of your state? California

I was let go from my job with a former employer midway through December 2001. I didn't sign their termination letter and told them that I was going to review my time cards because I knew they owed me quite a bit more overtime than what they were trying to pay me. (They had switched me to salary from hourly in July after I repeatedly complained that I was not being paid the OT hours I had worked thanks to their incompentant bookkeeper. I was supposed to be given comp time off in lieu of all the extra hours I worked once they made me salaried but of course when they let me go they had not even come close to compensating me fairly) pay than the lousy week of pay they were offering me as compensation for all my unpaid OT that had accrued. ANYWAY!... They ended up paying me for my disputed OT wages on January 30, 2002. So a year goes by and I get my W2 for 2002 from these freaks and they have an amount listed on it that is substantially less than what that check was. So I call them to tell them my W2 is wrong and to please send me a corrected one that reflects what they paid me and I get an email response this morning telling me that the W2 is correct. The bookkeeper credited part of that check to my 2001 W2 and the amount on this W2 for 2002 is the balance. Since when can an employer do this? Is this legal for them to do? Any input would be appreciated... aw what the hell, I'm feeling generous so even hostile, non-responsive replies will be welcome. I'd like to hear the points of view of people who share IQs similar in size and texture to those of my former employer. Haha. A NOTE: For the people who post here who have brains that could find shelter in the shade of a snow pea, that was a joke.

abezon

The employer should not have included part of the settlement on your 2001 W2. However, unless doing so hurt you, you should probably not bother arguing about it. You have better ways to spend your emotional energy.

P

PerfidyorFealty

Well, I have a labor board hearing for the claim I filed against them on the 25th of this month and I think this W2 will make the nice little cherry on top for that. My claim against them is for penalties for failing to pay me my final wages in their entirety on the day they let me go(it was nearly six weeks after firing me before they gave me my overtime wages and it was only after i told them I was going that day to the labor board to file a claim against them that they did pay me that check.), for failing to give me lunches during the year I worked there and for all the unpaid wages that I was cheated out of for the entire year due to the incompentence of their bookkeeper. While this doesn't specifically pertain to my claim, it does illustrate quite nicely that they're incapable of maintaining accurate payroll records. I'm rambling, sorry. Thanks for your reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">