• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hawaii**spouce hidding assets in divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

palapala

hawaii**how can i find out what my husband did with stock he cashed in. he signed my name. he wasted and dissipated marital property. we have been married for 24 years. all assets bought and earning during that time. we are separated for 2 years. a court trial is schudule for march. irs is involved, because he didn't declare stock he cashed in. am i going to be responsible for the stock cashed in. is there a way to find out what he did with the money.
thank you for any help...

vrzirn

Divorces usually begin with the process of "discovery", whereby each litigant is supposed to tell what assets they have under their control, own, or have spent if it is community property. As you are by now aware, lying is frequent and assets are hid, spent, not declared. or given away to new female friends in the form of diamonds.
Quite frequently, as you have also discovered, to your dismay, the taxes on the money are not given to your uncle (Sam)and his response is decidedly not avuncular.
A trial is the last resort after several attempts at mediation have failed. With yours approaching very quickly I am surprised to find you have not done some serious "forensic accounting".
The date of the sale and value of the stock should be part of your documentation along with a detailed "time line" of other dissipated assets. His deposition should have been taken long ago. Full files of all credit card charges, bank statements and brokerage accounts should be in your hands.
Perhaps there will be some relief for you from the IRS if you claim "innocent spouse". I am not sure. Whatever have you and your attorney been doing all this time to prepare for the trial? You both appear hopelessly inept.
Perhaps you had better ask for a continuance until you acquire all the financial records. If you can prove what you claim and there are sufficient assets remaing on his side of the ledger to compensate you for the theft then the judge will move them to your side.
Good luck. Start digging. You had better file separately for 2002.It appears you need a good accountant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">