• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do my dependents NEED SS #'s for me to file them under my taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phwl

New York

My question is: Regarding filing my federal taxes. My wife and step-daughter do NOT YET have their social security numbers because their adjustments of status applications are being processed by the US-INS presently.
We were married in 2002 and they are both living with me and dependent on me. Since they are bonafide dependents, am I able to put them on my taxes? or do I HAVE TO wait until they are issued their social security numbers?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P

phwl

Thank you

Thank you very much for the information. I managed to get out to the local IRS field office and submit the W-7's for the ITIN's. They say it will take aproximately 4-6 weeks, so I should get the numbers and make the April 16 deadline. Also, I passed this info onto my accountant (who probably should've known this answer.
Thanks again for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">