• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce threat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prish30

I met a man in my home state and moved with my two children to his home in tennessee. we married one month later. that was seven months ago. i was working two jobs, supporting my children when this occured. i am now unemployed, per his decision, and reliant on him for my every need, minus the child support i receive from my ex-husband. i have applied for my license so that i may again be employed, i am more than willing to work.
he has told me he is filing for divorce in the morning and i will be served with an eviction notice. he owns his own business of which i am no part of except doing the paperwork, payroll, etc. (so i guess you can say i do work)
my question is, what are my rights? i have no money and nowhere to go. he made several promises as to how if anything happened to us he would put me back in the same type home i was in and make sure i had enough money to get by for a few months. now he says 'you're a grown woman figure it out.'
he says i am entitled to 1/2 the equity in the home for the last six months, which comes to about $4,000.00, but there have been many additions (carpet, pool, additon to shop) along with the purchase of a car and a trailer.
is he responsible for helping me to get started again. do i have any legal claim to purchases made. or do i chalk this up to a hard lesson learned?
by the way i have been in counseling (alone) since november, i have done nothing morally wrong (adultery, etc.) i love this man with all of my heart and can't understand all the anger he expresses toward me. please help.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think you chalk this up to a hard lesson learned. Take the time to learn why you made such a poor choice, so you don't repeat it - for your own sake as well as that of your kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">