• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

newlywed divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmcnellis

What is the name of your state? montana
my husband and i have been married for about 6 months. we lived together for about 3 years before we got married. prior to us getting together he had many collections and judgements which he had not even attempted to pay until after we got together. we had kept our finances seperate for the first 1 1/2, but then got a joint checking ans started paying our bills, car loans, etc out of the pot - i made less than him at one point, then he was unemployed and i supported him, then i made more than him and no we make the same. just before we got married, we bought a house and as part of the agreement he had to pay off $3000.00 worth of judgements against him. i refinanced my car to get the money and we payed the judgements off. then he wanted to buy a truck so i got a signature loan in my name only for it, but the truck is in his name. the house in in both our names (i haven't legally changed my last name to his yet.) some of the household bills are in his name, but most are in mine as he has bad credit. also, after we got married i went on his car insurance and the insurance company made me put his name on the title of my car before they could list him as the primary driver on it - they wanted me to write a bill of sale saying i sold it to him, but i didn't do it. my husband and i are now having problems - he has become a total control freak and i am considering a divorce. what i am wondering is by marrying him, have i actually assumed half of his debt and he half of mine? can he try to take me car now that he is listed on the title? what will happen with our house? neither of us will let the other have it i fear - we have some equity, but neither of us could buy the other out. any thoughts? thank you so much for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">