• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the annulment be avoided ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Serious999

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi, me and my wife are currently separated and looks like the relation is not going to improve. After our recent fight she wants to claim a separate tax return instead of join and claim to be a head of household. I have a previous post with details and some answers:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132529

But here is more !

Now, to be eligible for a head of household she wants to annul our marriage based on the fact that a few years ago, when we were dating, I said that I've been married 8 years ago back in my country. But that marriage was annulled shortly after - I even didn't see the bride or consumed the marriage because of my move to USA (well it's a long story anyway). Consequently, I don't have the papers from my country showing that the marriage was annulled. Over 8 years period I can not retrieve those documents from my country since the passport has expired and I am no longer on their records. My relatives can not do it either since documents go to the bride or the groom. (I have no idea where the bride is).

Here is the question:
Can my wife annul our current marriage based on that information ?
What additional info/paperwork she needs to go ahead with annulment?
What paperwork do I need or what should I do to avoid annulment (I don't know: file for a divorce first or something)? (as you may guess there are INS complications involved).

I can not believe that after 2 years of marriage she is doing that to me, but I need to protect myself.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">