• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jerk neighbor, keeps calling the police on me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mr. Aloha

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

I live in an Apartment complex in Honolulu for about 5 years. But for the first time, a neighbor called the police saying that I was smoking Marijuana He did this twice to me last Monday within an hours time. I'm not hurting no one in the privacy of my own home. Not to mention that there are several neighghbors here that smoke too. With the way our "Tradewinds" blow here I'd figure it would be hard to put a door to that smell? And that anyone with a sensible mind would realize that.

The police have informed me that Weed smoking is illegal. But they don't seem to be in any hurry to get caught up in this potentual legal conflict. If no one can actually see me, resident, or police...can I be arrested for smoking? I feel like it's the 60's again and I need to block the bottom of my door with a towel! ;) But this is the third time in a week! do I have any rights in this situation?

mahalo,

Mr. Aloha

Z

zappy

No my man its the 60's again.....

put a towel under the door and get a big HEPA air cleaner from sears about $200 and all should be well again.

Dont you be a JERK and tell me you cant afford it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mr. Aloha said:

I live in an Apartment complex in Honolulu for about 5 years. But for the first time, a neighbor called the police saying that I was smoking Marijuana He did this twice to me last Monday within an hours time. I'm not hurting no one in the privacy of my own home. Not to mention that there are several neighghbors here that smoke too. With the way our "Tradewinds" blow here I'd figure it would be hard to put a door to that smell? And that anyone with a sensible mind would realize that.

The police have informed me that Weed smoking is illegal. But they don't seem to be in any hurry to get caught up in this potentual legal conflict. If no one can actually see me, resident, or police...can I be arrested for smoking? I feel like it's the 60's again and I need to block the bottom of my door with a towel! ;) But this is the third time in a week! do I have any rights in this situation?

mahalo,

Mr. Aloha

========================================

My response:

You asked - -

"do I have any rights in this situation?"

What "rights" would you like?

You're committing a violation of current law, whether you're inside your home or not - - it's still a violation of law.

Pretty soon, if you keep this up, the police are finally going to be forced to take action - - and then the only "right" you're going to have is the "right to remain silent."

Keep it up, and keep pressing the issue, and you'll get there very soon.

IAAL

M

Mr. Aloha

Re: Re: Jerk neighbor, keeps calling the police on me!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
========================================

My response:

You asked - -

"do I have any rights in this situation?"

What "rights" would you like?

You're committing a violation of current law, whether you're inside your home or not - - it's still a violation of law.

Pretty soon, if you keep this up, the police are finally going to be forced to take action - - and then the only "right" you're going to have is the "right to remain silent."

Keep it up, and keep pressing the issue, and you'll get there very soon.

IAAL
Do we not have any privacy rights? I know our life is becoming more constricted because of the world climate isn't to hot right now. Hey, I'm doing nothing in the open, my neighbor hasn't actually seen me smoke either. To make matters worse, the first time the police came out to my place a week earlier(twice within an hour), I wasn't smoking! This 'Anal retentive jerk', of a neighbor had picked the wrong Apt.!:mad:

So yeah, I figure I have some rights,...not sure what they are though?!?! :rolleyes: But this guy can ruin my life by his phone calls...not to mention this is a small island too.

I appreciate your reply...but come on! You gonna tell me you've never done anthing behind close doors that's even a little bit illegal? I find it hard to believe for anyone. A lot of states have these stupid laws that were created way back when, you know the ones right? Even David Letterman makes jokes about them. Now you gonna tell me you've never broken any of those silly laws either? :rolleyes:

In my case if the guy didn't like the smell of sweet Hawaiian herb,,,what can I do?? He's like one in a million!:rolleyes:

M

Mr. Aloha

Mr. Aloha said:

mahalo,

Mr. Aloha
what is a HEPA cleaner from SEARS? :D

stephenk

its an air cleaner for a room or house. comes in different sizes.
very effective.

the old maui wowie and kona gold. boy i miss the 70s.

hang loose brudah!

H

hmmbrdzz

Sounds like there's a war going on in Hawaii regarding marijuana. Eradication efforts have forced prices up to
$400. to $600. an ounce? Really? You're gonna get busted if you keep smoking it inside your house and have a complaining neighbor. If it smells like pot, it must be pot, and it's gonna smell like pot no matter what you do if you keep smoking it in your house -- Hepa filter or no Hepa filter. What's a pot head to do in Hawaii with a complaining neighbor? Be smart.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/specials/pot/pot11.html

hmmbrdzz

Z

zappy

$400. to $600. an ounce?....man thats more then the price of gold..

i remember $25 an oz and $35 and oz for the really good stuff...oops the price of gold was $35 an oz then too!

M

Mr. Aloha

hmmbrdzz said:
Sounds like there's a war going on in Hawaii regarding marijuana. Eradication efforts have forced prices up to
$400. to $600. an ounce? Really? You're gonna get busted if you keep smoking it inside your house and have a complaining neighbor. If it smells like pot, it must be pot, and it's gonna smell like pot no matter what you do if you keep smoking it in your house -- Hepa filter or no Hepa filter. What's a pot head to do in Hawaii with a complaining neighbor? Be smart.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/specials/pot/pot11.html

hmmbrdzz
pretty good article in our local paper, but I will put mt 2 cents in also. First off, anyone who lives in Puna lives there for one of two reasons. Either for the stuff we call "Pakalolo", or just to get away, like the Euro couple in the article.

In the 70's and 80's "Operation Green Harvest" was pretty much front page news. But was incredible was if you watched the late news...all the buds from the plants were gone. Only leaf part of plant was turned over for burning!:rolleyes:

I tried the "Pacifist", route during the 70's now I use brute force on people who get in my face, and my neighbor is now getting in my face!

FarmerJ

Take this from your Landlords point of view like it or not if you use a illegal substance in your apt and your nieghbor makes sufficent case through calls to the police about drug use in your apt your LL might have to evict you in order to maintain his /her rental license . SO if you no longer violate the terms of your lease you cannot be evicted ALSO if the police did come to your door after a period of time with a new complaint they would be able to smell the fact that you werent smoking in apt any more .If you review your lease you will see that th lease has a section covering illegal activitys and no matter what you think of pot laws your LL could be forced by the number of visits to your door by the police to begin to build eviction case against you and carry it out .

M

Mole

If you cannot live without your precious cannabis, be careful. Get strong incense like frankincense and myrrh and candles, set up a religious looking alter so if the police land lord or nosy neighbor inquire about the incense smell, you are of a certain faith that uses it in ritual. Act like a college student smoking in a dorm room if you must. Get a Heppa filter, block ventilation ducts, wet towel in the door frames, limit your smoking to one room of your apartment, and fill a toilet paper tube with dryer sheets to exhale into plus you get to see the nasty stuff going into and coming out of your lungs. If you and your neighbor are on speaking terms, try reasoning with him that you don't smoke and that it is possible one of the neighbors because of the wind. Worse case scenario, you'll have to find a new apartment.

JETX

Damn, she does look good for 46!!! But I did have to do a double take on one of the sentences she said in the article (never heard it called a 'helicopter' before!!).
:D

However, lets get back to the issue....
1) You smoke pot inside your property.
2) Neighbor smells it and calls police.
3) Police investigate and WILL eventually knock on your door either during or shortly after your little toke.
4) 'Very distinctive smell' comes wafting out of the apartment when you open door.
5) Police now have justifiable cause to investigate.
6) Police find 'evidence' of your 'hobby' and you get a new pair of bracelets.

Last edited:
H

hmmbrdzz

Mole said:
If you cannot live without your precious cannabis, be careful. Get strong incense like frankincense and myrrh and candles, set up a religious looking alter so if the police land lord or nosy neighbor inquire about the incense smell, you are of a certain faith that uses it in ritual. Act like a college student smoking in a dorm room if you must. Get a Heppa filter, block ventilation ducts, wet towel in the door frames, limit your smoking to one room of your apartment, and fill a toilet paper tube with dryer sheets to exhale into plus you get to see the nasty stuff going into and coming out of your lungs. If you and your neighbor are on speaking terms, try reasoning with him that you don't smoke and that it is possible one of the neighbors because of the wind. Worse case scenario, you'll have to find a new apartment.

My response: I had to laugh at that! Do you know what that would be like for a true pot head -- to have do all that in order to smoke? I think I would shoot myself first.

My advice: before you have to do all that to smoke -- either quit smoking, (and we can rule that out), or -- move to North Carolina. The choppers only fly around in Aug; but the weed is always here. It only costs about 120.00 for a good oz; you've got nice, friendly neighbors and beautiful women. Your problems are solved. Start packing.

hmmbrdzz

M

Mr. Aloha

the latest on my "Weed Saga". I have been exonerated by both police & landlord. Yes, as a devoute Buddhist I do burn upwards 60 sticks a day. I was burning incense at the time, while other neighbors were enjoying a mid day toke. The accusers thought it was me because of our "Tradewinds" blow pretty hard making it virtually impossible to pinpoint location of smell.
Like I said, all three times the cops came, they never smelled weed coming from my place! No "Probable cause" there!

The people who were pointing the finger at me and my neighbor, are no longer sure where the smell is coming from.:rolleyes:

I hate to see people get in others business, life is to short for that nonsense! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">