• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 friends names - 1 home loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

altjimwilson

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My grandpa's friend is co-signing a loan for a new house with him. However, this friend is married and his wife doesn't know about this.

This friend assured my grandpa that there are no legal concerns here.

However, that friends marriage is very shakey.

My question is this. If that friend would divorce, could my grandpa loose his house?

I'm concerned because this friends name is on the home loan along with my Grandpas. Im not sure how this would work in a divorce?

Since my grandpa want to do this, is there any way I can help protect him?

Thanks,

Last edited:

VeronicaGia

You should really contact an attorney. If your grandfather's friends name is on the title, the friend will have legal standing to the house if something happens. If the friends name is on the mortgage only, it means the friend will be responsible for the payment, but I don't believe one can be on the mortgage and not on the title. In my case, I'm on the title but not the mortgage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">