• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado w-2 explanation needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrbre

What is the name of your state? CO
I have a W-2 from my ex-husband for child support reasons(we are required to share W-2's each year) and there is an amount in a certain box that I am not familiar with. Can anyone tell me what box 14. Other is for? Is it a spot considered for income purposes? Is auto allowance considered income?

abezon

Box 14 is additional info the employer decides to give out. It may include a car allowance, health insurance premiums for family members, etc. A car allowance is taxable if the worker spent less than the total car allowance on auto expenses. Ie, if the allowance is $7800 but the employee only spent $3000 to run/depreciate the car for business, the taxpayer should include $4800 in income. If the taxpayer spent $9000, the taxpayer may be able to write off the $1200 extra, depending on whether s/he is itemizing.

M

mrbre

So if there is something listed there than is it considered taxable income for that person?

M

mrbre

Sorry for asking so many questions but since it is listed there is it considered income, whether taxable or not? I am pretty sure it would be a car allowance.

Ps. thanks for all the help

abezon

A car allowance is usually not income. It's reimbursement of auto expenses. You have to figure the taxpayer's actual auto expenses (either actual expenses + depreciation or standard mileage rate), then compare to the car allowance. If the allowance exceeds the actual expenses, the difference is income. Otherwise, ignore it unless the taxpayer is claiming an auto expenses deduction, in which case it's reimbursement & reduces the deductible portion of the auto expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">