• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

littarey

My Mom has just died, Dad has been dead for years know. Mom had small life insurance policy just enough to cover burial,no will. Mom has two credit card bills plus medical bills, about $3000.00 total. My sister says we are not to pay these bills. I think we should. How much trouble will we get into if we don't pay? We both live in Illinois

[This message has been edited by littarey (edited October 02, 1999).]

W

WillTrust

First my condolences. Second, the past due obligations are those of your mother's estate, not of her heirs at law (you and your sister)personally.

If there are credit card bills, check to see if perhaps they were covered by life insurance built into the credit card agreement as a benefit or as an extra option for a fee. (Be persistent -- the leading credit card insurer usually denies the benefits at first even if there is coverage. Lots of people have "credit life" but most don't collect on it as they forget it or take the insurer's [false] word.)

Third, if there are any assets your mother had, jewelery, a car, furniture, etc. then they are all part of your mother's estate, and their value or other proceeds of the estate should be used to pay her estate's bills. In other words, you can't legally take the car, the jewels, etc. and say to her creditors "sorry". But if she had absolutely nothing of value, and there are no assets, you don't have to pay them personally as a matter of law. PS Usually the life insurance money is yours, not the estate's, if you were the named beneficiaries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">