• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Effect of Bankruptcy on Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My mother died without a will, and she filed bankruptcy (chapter 13) a year previous to her death. Since I am the benificiary to her insurance policy and there is a mortgage still left on the house-- what am I responsible for? (for ex. Am I required to pay creditors and mortgage of the estate?) My father is has been deceased for 10 yrs. Does my standing as a student (with barely any income) affect the matter?

G

George H

I'm a financial planner, not a lawyer. Your mother's estate has all the financial responsibility -- not you personally, but you will have to work things out, and her obligations may come out of your share of the estate. The mortgage is on the house so all that means is that it has to be kept current and can be paid off when the house is sold. No need to use hard cash now to pay it off. And no, your status as a student doesn't change things but maybe some hard nosed lender would cut you some slack. Sorry about your loss.

Look, it really makes sense to see a lawyer who knows estates and bankruptcy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">