• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

about guardians.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confused.

i live in northern california. i hv 1 toddler. i would like to make my sister my son's guardian, however she lives in australia. how does the laws over here apply, and is this possible?

is it also possible to have a primary and secondary set of guardians for your children?

thanks,

B

Bill R

Good news. You can nominate anyone. But the Court has the last say, and although it generally goes along with the nomination, if there are real reasons advanced (say by a grandparent -- such as the folks in Austrailia practice human sacrific, are poor and have a history of child abuse) as to why it shouldn't, it doesn't. Also, the nomination only takes effect if there is no surviving parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">