• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no will, step father will take everything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

D

My mother died about 3 years ago. My step father and her aquired a house , before they were married. I have been living in the house about 2 years. Now my step father is wanting to sell the house. He says I owe him $8,000. He is wanting to have papers drawn that says he will take that money out of the sale of the house and pay me $1,000 for my signature. There is no contract for the money he says I owe him. Can he legally write this in? I was under the impression that these were two seperate intities. I live in Texas. I feel that the house will sell for at least $45,000 if not more. I alse have a sister. Also my step father has never reported my mothers death to thier bank. Thank you for any advice, in advance.
D

W

Wilson

You need to know if the house was held in joint tenancy or not (if so, he's the owner), and if not who the beneficiaries are either named in her Will or under Texas law. Why does he say you owe him anything? But the lack of a written contact is not the test -- do you owe him the money?

D

D

He bought me a vehicle after my mom died, he said he felt sorry for me, and bought it. Now he wants to take it out of the sale of the house. Convient ! Can he legally incorperate this into the sale of the house? I thought it was two different entities.??? Thank you , Wilson !

W

Wilson

The car sounds like a gift to me. No backs!

But as to your rights in the house, can't say. Look go to a lawyer in Texas and ask. It would cost a lot less than the $8,000 the SOB is asking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">