• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Engagement Ring....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drmgrl1982

Ohio- Do I get to keep the engagement ring if the engagement was broken off and I paid for most of the payments?

JETX

Normally, the ring would belong to the groom, since it would normally be his purchase. However, since your post says that you paid (at least something) on the ring:
Who broke off the engagement?
How much was the ring?
How much did you pay on the ring?

VeronicaGia

Do you have proof that you paid most of the payments? Whose name is on the account to which you are making payments?

If you want to keep the ring, you will have to pay for it in its entirety. If he wants it back, he will have to reimburse you for all payments you have made.

J

Jeffrey2003

A gift

Isn't an engagement ring viewed as a gift? Meaning the receiver is the owner?

VeronicaGia

Re: A gift

Jeffrey2003 said:
Isn't an engagement ring viewed as a gift? Meaning the receiver is the owner?
It is a gift in anticipation of marriage. If there is no marriage, the ring should be returned. Once there is a marriage, it is no longer the property of the giver.

D

drmgrl1982

JETX said:
Normally, the ring would belong to the groom, since it would normally be his purchase. However, since your post says that you paid (at least something) on the ring:
Who broke off the engagement?
How much was the ring?
How much did you pay on the ring?

i paid for most of the ring...it cost around $1000.
He broke off the engagement
I paid about $750 of the cost....

D

drmgrl1982

VeronicaGia said:
Do you have proof that you paid most of the payments? Whose name is on the account to which you are making payments?

If you want to keep the ring, you will have to pay for it in its entirety. If he wants it back, he will have to reimburse you for all payments you have made.
As for my part of the payments, I wrote checks for each time the bill was paid...The ring cost about $1000...i paid for a little over half of it. The account that the ring was purchased on is in his name...but I made the payments for it while he was out of a job...for most of our relationship.

djohnson

I am not an attorney but think this could argued both ways legally. I have seen this often is edicate books and that version is that the engagement ring is like a good faith payment and whoever breaks the contract looses. However, like I said in small claims court it could go either way depending on what you could prove and he could prove.

T

TomRobichaud

Girl don't be a fool of course the ring is yours. Did he give it to you? Did he intend for you to wear the ring. who cares what happened to the relationship the ring is yours.
I know I broke off an engagement and the ring was hers. That was a $2000 dollar mistake. Oh well

stephenk

remove the diamond, put in a fake stone and give him the ring. if he later complains that the stone is fake, deny everything and say he must have forgetten he was a cheap ******* that purchased the fake ring in the first place.

:)

VeronicaGia

I can't believe this thread is still going!

If a couple receives wedding gifts in advance of a wedding that never takes place, the couple would have to return those wedding gifts, since the gifts were in anticipation of marriage.

The ring is also in anticipation of marriage and the poster can either pay for it in full or she can return the ring and ask for her money back.

J

Jeffrey2003

VeronicaGia

Is that a legal opinion or an etiquette opinion? I can't see where a couple is under any "legal" obligation to return wedding gifts if the wedding never takes place. I guess that would only become a legal matter if one of the gift givers took the couple to court to get a civil ruling on the return of the gifts. I assume there probably has been some legal precedent established for this....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">