• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Locked Out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LoisR

Florida: We're probably heading for divorce. I told my spouse to leave the house. He stayed with his parents, and while he was gone, I changed the locks to our house so he wouldn't have access. He's found a place to stay, but I'm worried ... didn I do something legal or illegal and what rights does he have? Can I keep him out indefinitely? I'm going to a lawyer to have a financial agreement drawn up so I can get some money from him while he's locked out. I hope I can get him to agree to it. Am I on solid ground here?

nailtech

is the house in his name as well?? or is it your seperate property before the marriage??

I think if its in his name and without a court order theres nothing keeping him from breaking a window and coming in, if it's his half his house too...

kidoday

Nailtech is correct.

I have changed the locks twice on my house. He still can come and go as he pleases. I was told by my attorney (for what he is worth) that I need to have proof that my stbx is coming in the house and taking things, only then can I get a RO for him to stay away from the house.

Good Luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">