• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice on income tax reporting of mortgage points

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drduffuss

What is the name of your state? california.
I have a question about tax form 1098 pertaining to Mortgage interest. I want to be sure that I am getting my deduction for the points that I paid for obtaining my first and second mortgage loans. I paid these points when i opened these loans in 2001. Since then I have refinanced the first and paid off the second mortgage with a new Home equity line of credit (HELOC). However, when I recieved my new forms 1098 for tax year 2002, I did not see any $ in the box for points paid on purchase of residence. I did have these points reflected on the 2001 forms. I think I deducted these points from my 2001 income tax filing. But, what about this year? Am i correct when I say that these points sometimes are amortized over the length of the loan and since I have closed out my two original loans; shouldn't I benefit this year by taking the full deductions from paying all those points in both loans. Or did I already reap all the benefits I could get out of it when I filed in 2001. So far, I have taken the initative to transfer those points from 2001 forms 1098 to this years 2002 form 1098 even thou those new lenders' 1098 forms have a zero amount in the points paid box. Is this a no-no? And I think this may cause an audit if the numbers don't match up with the ones sent to the IRS. Please advise me on this.

abezon

That was a no-no. You can deduct the points paid on the original purchase of a residence all in one year. However, points from subsequent refinancings MUST be amortized over the life of the loan. The exception is if you refinance *again* or sell the house. Then you get to accelerate the remaining points because the loan they were attached to has been paid off. (Ergo, it no longer has a "life".)

To find the points, you must look at the HUD-1 settlement statement included in your closing papers. On page 2, you will see lines for "loan origination fee" and "loan discount fee". These entries are your points. All the other stuff is non-deductible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">