• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal background checks by employers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lynnharp

What is the name of your state? TX

I have a pending POCS 4th degree charge with no indictment. When a potential employer does a criminal background check on me will this pending charge show?

(I don't know if you will know this)
Also, CPS got in the picture over this and have charged me with Neglect. They are not going to press the charges if I comply with their list of requirements. Will this child neglect charge show on a criminal background check?

Thank you,

Becky

H

hmmbrdzz

lynnharp said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I have a pending POCS 4th degree charge with no indictment. When a potential employer does a criminal background check on me will this pending charge show?

(I don't know if you will know this)
Also, CPS got in the picture over this and have charged me with Neglect. They are not going to press the charges if I comply with their list of requirements. Will this child neglect charge show on a criminal background check?

Thank you,

Becky

My response: I'm not sure how that works on the "criminal background check" (technically), but the potential employer can find out this information through other background checks.
Such as -- if your old boss knew you were arrested for possession of CS and that CPS was involved, this info could be given to your new potential boss from your old boss.

If you have filled out a job application after these charges and put "no" to the conviction part, you aren't necessarily lying on the application, but there are ways an employer finds out about your conduct.

Have you requested a copy of your own criminal record yet to see what it lists and what it states about the charges? Do you expect a conviction on the first one? What substance, if you don't mind my asking, and where are you going to attempt to work?

I would advise you not to seek employment in the healthcare industry with those charges and pending, possible convictions.

hmmbrdzz

L

lynnharp

The charge was for methamphetamine. They found .5 grams in my dresser drawer at my mother's house when I wasn't even home. Didn't even have a search warrant.

The employer is an Institutional Review Board - IRB. It has to do with the testing of new drugs being approved by the FDA.

Thanks.

Becky

Son of Slam

lynnharp said:
methamphetamine. They found .5 grams in my dresser drawer

The employer is an Institutional Review Board - IRB. It has to do with the testing of new drugs

Someone stupid enough to do meth, might be good at testing new drugs.

L

loocpoc

lynnharp said:
The charge was for methamphetamine. They found .5 grams in my dresser drawer at my mother's house when I wasn't even home. Didn't even have a search warrant.

The employer is an Institutional Review Board - IRB. It has to do with the testing of new drugs being approved by the FDA.

Thanks.

Becky
Umm I read your last post reguarding the possession charge. You have no case, stop complaining. Your mother let them in therefore no need for a warrant (and it seems if you dont own the house nor are you paying rent).

As far as background checks, since your going to be working in the pharmacutical agency, any narcotic arrest and conviction will show up. You can be denied employment for the convictions and arrests (much like how you can be denied a pharmacists license). For the child endangerment charge, it will show up but I doubt it can hurt you.

H

hmmbrdzz

Becky -- Technically, you're not convicted on either charge yet. If you go to work now at the drug testing facility and are later convicted on the meth charge, you would have to report this conviction to your employer, no doubt, because you are working with DRUGS (it's probably mandatory to report any drug convictions). If you go to work there now and don't get convicted later, then hope your employer never finds out you were arrested for meth.

If you're not convicted of a charge, on a job application you can answer "no" to the question "have you ever been arrested and convicted of a crime".

If you ever want to work again in a decent place, you should find a way to avoid conviction of either charge. The only way you are going to possibly do this is to hire an attorney. You will have to assess if your life style is worth the cost of an attorney now to attempt to avoid conviction.

hmmbrdzz

L

loocpoc

hmmbrdzz, if you work in the pharmacutical industry you MUST report any drug related arrests AND convictions. Meaning that the arrests must also be put down. I know at the VA (my employer) anyone who dispenses or even remotely works around pharmacuticals will go a background check (outside of the reg one required for employment) to determine suitability that they will not steal the drugs, sell the drugs. Also included is a check of financial stabality. Im pretty much sure it is standard in the pharmacutical industry.

H

hmmbrdzz

I understand what you're saying -- that it's mandatory to report drug related offenses on such jobs. Currently, though, she is not on this job yet. This is how I interpret the "have you ever been" dilemma on job applications. If a job application asks "have you ever been arrested for a drug related offense", (and you've been arrested but never convicted), you must answer "yes" in order to be truthful. But, if it asks "have you ever been arrested and convicted of a drug related offense", I think you can answer "no" and still be answering truthfully. I'm not suggesting that she lie to get on this job or attempt to go to work right now where she will be in direct contact with handling drugs and/or patients. I am suggesting, though, that if her future is more important to her than illegal subtances and being chronically irresponsible, avoiding a "conviction" record will be important to her.

hmmbrdzz

L

lynnharp

Wait. Wait.

The company is a Review Board. I will have nothing to do with the actual drugs. I am a bookkeeper. Actually nobody in their office has anything to do with them. They have board reviews every Tuesday night after hours to review the cases.

"An IRB is any board, committee or other group which reviews, approves, and does continuing review of biomedical research involving human subjects. IRB's were established as the result of unfair treatment of human subjects."

Sorry for the confusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">