• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving away from ncp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gijoeschick

What is the name of your state?

I live in Georgia and am moving to Colorado to be married. My children, ages 11 and 9, only visit their dad because they have to. When we get to Colorado if they don't want to spend the summers with him do I have to send them?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For starters - have you notified your ex as required by GA state law (60 days prior to move)? Do you realize that he has the right to contest your move and request that you either remain in GA or he is awarded custody? Do you realize that until your currrent visitation agreement is modified, you are bound by it?

And in answer to your question - if your order states that the children are to spend a certain period of time with their father (i.e. the summer) - you bet your bippie you're required to make them go. Unless you relish being found in contempt of court with the attendant penalties (which could range from a slap on the wrist, to fines, to jail time, to loss of custody).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">