• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FIFA Question. Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dterry11

What is the name of your state? GA

I posted a thread about a week or two ago regarding my husband and state back taxes that he had from a previous marriage. In that thread I also stated that no matter how we try to pay what the state tells us is the total amount, they always seem to find more that we owe. We finally spoke with someone who told us that we only owed $834.28 in state back taxes and that that would bring us current unless we had to pay this year. I asked that they send us a total tax bill and they did for the amount of $834.28. When we received the tax bill it was an "Official Assesment and Demand For Payment" that stated what we owed and that if we paid it in full by a certain date it would be the $834.28. If we paid it after that date additional penalties and interest would be added. We went ahead and paid the $834.28 (which, according to the state was paid before the deadline). We just received an "Offset Notice" in the mail from the state of Georgia where they took all of our state tax refund and put it towards FIFA. Am I correct in thinking that FIFA is some sort of lien? We never received a notice of any type of lien being placed. Don't they have to provide some type of notice? Why wasn't this lien included in the tax bill that they sent to us? And why is it in the exact amount of our refund? Is this legal? Once again, we try to do the right thing and we continue to get shafted. I almost feel as though we should start trying to cheat the system as well since it does absolutely no good to try to follow rules. I will definitely follow the advice given earlier. I will adjust our taxes so that we get nothing as a refund in the future. Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">