• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need legal advice for ny law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wannagonow

What is the name of your state? ny

i need expert help with ny law. if you are married and have been threatened can you leave the state with a child?

or is it best to get a legal sep and hope that you are still alive the next day to seek legal advice?

Need help for best friend immediately!! PLEASE HELP!!

A

Annrain

ny law

I am not sure how that works with leaving the state but if your friend is being abused she should call the police and report it to them. They will instruct her where to go with her child. Legal aid can also be available to her once she has left him. Restraining orders should also be filed.
Anne

M

MaggieK

If you are still married, have no court order or separation agreement specifying that you cannot leave the state with the child, then you can go where you please with the child. If you are in an abusive relationship it would be a no brainer for me. Life advice..not legal advice.

W

wannagonow

thanks for the info

well, my friend has not been phsically but emotionally. her jerk husband talks very nasty to her and she has a son from him and one from previous relationship. she's currently seeking legal help (thank god) and hopes to have him removed from the apartment. i believe it's in her name only (which helps) and she can have him leave. I think she's more worried about him coming after her (he threatened to slice her throat if she left with his child), but I would think the courts would side with her? I gave her this website so she could seek info from those who can help! In the meantime, I truly appreciate your responses!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">