• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lump divorce settlement and student loans. How do I factor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gotalife

What is the name of your state? Tn

I was divorced in June of 2002 and recieved a lump settlement in lieu of alimony, or to buy out my half of the house, whichever works better for tax purposes. The amount was about $8500.
Do I just claim this under income?

I also moved with my four children and went back to college. I have received student loans which I used for rent. How does this figure? If I understand correctly, the grants that I have received are deductable up to the amount used for tuition, and books.

abezon

1. No. Property transfers pursuant to divorce are not taxable.

2. Loans are not income. You might want to include your grants in income & take an education tax credit. Taxable scholarships are included in line 7 with wages & can affect the amount of EIC you get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">